1/03/2010

26 can be just another year, or....

Scribbled by Darrell Barnes

I have finally gone over the quarter century hump, if in fact there is such a thing. From what some have told me over the past few days is that there is nothing worth looking forward to in birthdays anymore, it's just another year. However, I consider 25 to have been one of the most trying years of my life. Trying to get out of school, wondering what's next career wise, and even more importantly trying to seriously trust in the Lord in every part of my life. This has by far been the most difficult task, but I feel the last bit of 25 has brought some of the most joy in my life.

I have been learning, through some various trials, how to struggle. I think the hardest part in struggling with things is that I often feel like "I am alone in this, and there is no need in burdening anyone else with this." As I often find out when I try things on my own, I will fail miserably and fall into a place that is dark and lonely. Though I believe that camaraderie with other believers is very important, I would like to comment on someone that is always on your side through struggles, the Holy Spirit. This is someone that I believe has been seriously neglected in churches, especially in America. Obviously I didn't come to this conclusion on my own, but with help through "Forgotten God," by Francis Chan my mind is being opened to the reality of the Holy Spirit. I won't ruin any suspense for those of you that want to pick up a copy, and you should, but I would like to tell you which part of the book has impacted me thus far.

Growing up in my church, I somehow was lead to believe that the Holy Spirit was this mystical creature that floated around watching over us, and that voice in our head when we knew we shouldn't be doing something that was wrong. However, I think a lot of people have a conscious and experience this voice in their head whether they have received the Spirit or not. As I've been exploring the Holy Spirit and the many wonders that He (not "It") has to offer, I've learned that the Holy Spirit is not merely this ghosts that was sent to condemn us, and convict us throughout our day. Sure, He does work in our lives to lead us in the direction towards Christ which often means some hard times will come, that involve correction. However, His many wonders don't stop there. The biggest thing to me is that the Holy Spirit prays for me. Romans 8:27 says, "He who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God." So even when my human mind is praying for something that is so temporary, the Holy Spirit is praying on my behalf to the Father according to the will of God. This is comforting to say the least, I hope it can be for you too.

So yes, 26 can be just another year, or I can make 26 be the best year of my life. I can learn so much more about the God that I worship, that loves me even when I'm at my worst, the God that shed his own blood on the cross so that I would be able to sit here and praise His name at 26.

I choose the latter....

0 good games: